f Why You Are Never Too Old For Crossfit!!!!!: Body Fat Percentage!

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Body Fat Percentage!

From the internet: "Age – The pictures in this post assume ages of around 25-35 years old. Most body fat measurement devices will reflect higher body fat levels as the age increases. For example, a 20 year old man and a 50 year old man may have the same subcutaneous body fat measurement (fat under the skin), but the 20 year old may be 15% and the 50 year old will be at 20%. As we age, fat around the organs (visceral) and within muscle (intramuscular) tends to increase and most formulas take this into account."

 

THIS IS HUGE FOR ME!

Now don't get me wrong, I am under no illusions that I am at 15% body fat. I totally accept that I am probably between 20-25%. It may not be what I would wish for in a perfect world but I am in the healthy to fit range so I will take it.

But, there have been a few occasions when another athlete with a similar body composition to mine, but 10-15 years younger, receives a much lower body fat result.  The excerpt above, from this article, does help explain why this happens. While the fact that it is assumed that I have more fat around my organs because I am older isn't exactly the best news, I'll take it and embrace it. It helps explain why the younger athletes get better readings. Let's be honest, it just makes me feel better.

[Please click on one of these buttons to "like"on Facebook or, to rank this post on Google-thanks so much,it helps my blog rating.]

No comments:

Post a Comment